7/9/09

Vacation?

Does it really count as a vacation if you fill out a change of address form for the place you are staying? This summer, my wife and I are moving to Chicago so that I can attend seminary. We chose Chicago because I was offered a full scholarship (which covers housing as well) for the three years we are there. Furthermore, it puts us close to my parents, friends who live in the city, and has plenty of opportunities for my wife as well as for me to pursue a PhD. after seminary.

However, we had to be out of our apartment in Jacksonville by June 15th and can't move into our place in Chicago until August 3rd. So, we are homeless for the next few weeks. Kristy's parents live outside Durango, Colorado and we decided to stay with them for that time. We have no home of our own... so one could argue we moved in with my in-laws. From the outside, this looks like a really long vacation, but in reality it is simply a blessing to have family that can help you out when you need it.

Really, the church should be a family like that. When I have something that someone else needs, I should jump at the opportunity to provide for that person. I know I have been on the receiving end pretty often in my life. No matter whether I am giving or receiving, I feel blessed to be a part of the process of God working through community.

From what I hear, community is a big part of the seminary experience. I am looking forward to living across the hall from the same people I will attend class with, debate with, get frustrated with, laugh with, cry with, and provide for as well as depend on for the next few years. While I was with Young Life in Northern Kentucky, we experienced a level of community that I want to strive for even today. The sharing of meals, housing, cars, money, and lives hearkened back to the Acts 2 example. It was amazing, and it has profoundly shaped me.

This time in Colorado has been great so far. I have started on my studies so that I can hit the ground running in Chicago. I have also taken some time to read a few books that I wanted read as opposed to them being assigned.

Anne Lamott is an author that I adore. I don't always agree with her, but she is brutally honest and vulnerable and her ability to craft words is top notch. I also read Desire of the Everlasting Hills by Thomas Cahill. Another one I would highly recommend. Overall, this homelessness/vacation has been reinvigorating and I will be ready to get going come August.

1 comment:

Guy Barnhart said...

I am so excited for you Dave. Hopefully after I graduate this Fall I can figure some things out before I attend graduate school. I am currently looking at St John's College's Eastern Classics program in Santa Fe before pursuing further study in either Literature, Philosophy or Theology at another university.

This summer has also been a period of change and growth in my own life. I feel as though I have entered Jacksonville's counter-culture, which has been eye-opening, as well as challenging to my own conceptions of God and the human capacity for love and understanding the diversity of human-beings. The people I have been meeting and developing relationships are much different than anything I am used to in church and school (hippies, freaks, geeks, artists, etc, compared to WASPs and the well-to-do). I am excited for the Fall to finish up school and then move forward in my life.

Good luck. My love and thoughts are with you, Kristy and Ellie.