7/28/08

Who is my neighbor?


EVERYONE!  It's funny, when Jesus is asked this question in Luke 10, He tells the story of the "Good Samaritan".  If you don't know the story, I highly recommend reading it.  The gist is that a man is robbed, beaten, and left for dead along the side of the road.  Two religious leaders pass by and refuse to help (they had more important things to do).  The one who helps the man is a Samaritan, a people thought to be dirty and misled spiritually.  He not only gets him to some one who can provide medical care, but he pays for the care and comes back later to check on the man.

This story was shocking to those Jesus spoke to for they had never thought of a Samaritan as living out ideals that should be aspired to.  But this is the ideal.  We are called to cast off any differences and divisions and truly seek the benefit of others.

Mister Rogers is a perfect example of this for modern day America.  He let go of differences and disagreements and told people that God loved them just as they were and that he did too.  He met people with love and injustice with strong opposition.  Literally, our country has been forever changed because of the influence of this meek Presbyterian (WOOT!) minister.  I loved his show as a child, but it's been as I've grown up (barely) that I've seen the amazing impact he had and how his example, if followed by more people, could change the world we live in today.

I know it sounds trivial, but today I pray that I can be more like Fred Rogers.  I never thought I would aspire to be like some one from Pittsburgh of all places.  Kind of like Samaria.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Roger's is awesome!

Take care Dave,
MC